Have you been wanting to lose weight but can’t bear going on another diet where you feel restricted? Instead of taking foods away, let’s focus on foods to add into your diet. These foods include fruits and vegetables. If you are trying to eat healthy and lose weight, include more fruits and vegetables in your meals and snacks. Fruits and vegetables have many health benefits and one of them include helping with weight management. Here are 3 ways that adding in fruits and vegetables can help you with your weight loss efforts.
1. Fruits and vegetables are low in calories.
If you replace a high calorie snack (cookies, cakes, chips, etc.) with a fruit or vegetable, you can cut calories and get in lots of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
2. Fruits and vegetables have more fiber than processed, high calorie foods.
Fiber helps keep you full longer. Fiber also helps with blood sugar control and with gut health, which can help with weight management.
3. Fruits and vegetables are full of water.
Water helps your body run more efficiently and helps give the food more volume, which fills you up and keeps you full longer.
A general goal for daily intake of fruits and vegetables include at least 5 servings a day of fruits and vegetables. This could be 2 fruits and 3 vegetables. You can eat them fresh, frozen, or canned. If you chose canned or frozen look for no added salt and no added sugars.
Here are 5 ways to add in more fruits and vegetables:
1. Sauté peppers and onions and add them to your scrambled eggs for breakfast
2. Add berries to yogurt for a snack
3. Add lettuce and tomatoes to your sandwiches
4. Add a salad to your lunch and dinner. Be creative with your salads and add in more than just lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I love to add in mandarin oranges, radishes, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted red peppers.
5. Eat carrots with crunchy peanut butter for a snack
Need more ideas on how to eat more fruits and vegetables? Click here to get 20 ways to enjoy more fruits and vegetables.
If you are looking for more tips on how to lose weight, join my Facebook group “Weight Loss Support with DF.” We share recipes, meal ideas and other nutrition tips related to weight loss.